Not a lot of space in your living room or family room?
With the right sofa to set the room off in colour and style – Better Homes & Gardens suggests trying to rearrange your room to make the most of your space and not block traffic patterns, by:
- Placing a rug in the middle of the room. This will anchor your furniture in the room.
- Floating your sofa in the middle of the room (front legs on the rug, back legs off). The room is still accessible from all sides.
- Placing a coffee table (or two smaller ones) in front of the sofa and a TV stand against the wall beyond that.
Floating Your Sofa – No Water Involved
By placing a sofa in the middle of the room, rather than against a wall, a sofa is said to be “floating” in the room. This means the back of your sofa is in the open. It changes your floor plan and also gives you the opportunity to use of the space behind the sofa for something more.
What do you put behind your sofa? A slim console – either glass-topped or all wood – depending on your style can serve a couple different uses, such as:
- small home office area – just pull up a chair
- food buffet when entertaining
- where to showcase interesting art and mementos