Keep yourself and your loved ones safe this season with a little safety knowledge from the Canada Safety Council.
* Choose decorations that are flame-retardant,
non-combustible and non-conductive.
* Avoid using angel hair (glass wool) together with
spray-on snowflakes. Highly combustible!
* Use only indoor lights for indoors which are
Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified.
* Don’t use electric light strings/sets on metallic
* Turn off all tree and display lights before retiring
for the night or before leaving the house.
* Place candles away from absolutely anything that
could catch fire.
* Never leave burning candles unattended.
* Put candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface,
well away from drafts, curtains and children.
* Don’t overload wall outlets.
* Make sure cords are CSA certified.
* Discard any defective cords.
* Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
* Don’t coil or bunch an extension cord which is in
use, and do not run it under carpets or rugs.