Tips to Prevent Kitchen Fires

Prevent Kitchen Fires this Christmas

Grease and fat fires are a leading cause of home fires in Canada. Please use extra care when cooking in the kitchen during the holiday season.

Place an open box of baking soda by the stove as a precaution.

Here’s what to do if grease in a pot or pan catches fire:

  1. Smother the flames by covering the pan with a lid.
  2. Turn off the heat immediately.
  3. Use baking soda (flour can be explosive) on shallow grease fires.

What NOT to do:

Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire.
Never throw water on a grease fire.

Source: canadasafetycouncil.org

Share
Comments are closed.

Marketing by WMSH | Website by Thinksite